Instagram released the Reels feature in August of 2020. In this blog, we’ll be answering some of the most important questions you might have when thinking about using Instagram Reels for your business. Read on to learn all about it!
A new way to engage with people on a global stage
With Instagram considered to be one of the most popular social media channels, the platform is always looking to keep up with new trends and developments within the online social landscape. In order to compete with the evident success of TikTok - a short-form, video-sharing app that allows users to create and share 15-second videos - Instagram released the Reels feature in August of 2020.
By launching Instagram Reels, the platform now offers its users a new way to create and discover short, entertaining videos within the app. The new feature shares many of the same possibilities as TikTok, thus presenting strong competition to what is currently regarded to be the fastest-growing social media channel worldwide.
In this blog, we’ll be answering some of the most important questions you might have when thinking about using Instagram Reels for your business. Read on to learn all about it!
Why and how to use Instagram Reels for your business?
Before you start out creating Instagram Reels, it would be helpful to know why and how the new format could be a great opportunity for you to boost your business’ performance on Instagram.
- Reaching new audiences
After publishing your Reels, it’ll appear on Instagram’s explore page. Content on the explore page is generally accessible to all Instagram users, enabling you to reach new audiences and grow your following. Creating content through Reels can be especially beneficial to businesses in Travel, Fashion, Food and Beauty industries!
- Using Reels for retargeting
As of yet, it isn’t possible to run ads in the Reels feeds, though this might change if the feature becomes more popular. This doesn’t mean, however, that they’re useless for your current Facebook & Instagram advertising. You can actually use Reels to create video views custom audiences based on users who’ve viewed them. Definitely an opportunity to worth exploring!
- Building trust and credibility with your audience
There are many different ways you can use Reels. Just to name a few, you could create Reels to show a more human side of your business by showing BTS shots, showcase new products or put out educational content.
- Re-purposing your TikTok content
In case you’ve already been creating content on TikTok, Instagram Reels may be a great place to re-purpose your videos! As users are able to upload videos from their camera roll, it’s easy to just download your TikTok content and use it again.
Do mind, however, that Instagram has recently announced that its algorithm will start to demote Reels which contain the TikTok watermark at some point. When exactly this will go into effect isn’t yet known, but it’s surely a good thing to keep an eye on!
How does Instagram Reels work?
Instagram Reels is a great way to drive engagement and create meaningful relationships with your online audience, by sharing short and captivating videos that show your authenticity.
Luckily, you won’t need any major editing skills to create Reels. With a few steps, you can make and share your first video with your followers. Here are a few things you should know and the steps you need to take to create an Instagram Reels video:
Step 1. Open the Instagram Stories camera and find the Reels icon between the Story-mode and Live-mode on the bottom menu of your screen.
Step 2. You’ll now see a variety of editing tools on the left side of your screen to help create your Reel.
Instagram Reels editing options
- Length: Choose the duration of your video. You can either pick between 15 or 30 seconds.
- Audio: Pick a song or soundbite from the Instagram music library. You can also choose to create a Reel using your own audio, by simply recording your video without any added sounds. *NOTE: Most business accounts on Instagram don’t have access to the music library, due to copyright restrictions. Check out this blog to learn how you can add music to your Reels if you don’t have the music button.
- Speed: Choose to speed up or slow down part of the video or audio you selected. This can help you stay on a beat or make slow-motion videos.
- AR Effects: Scroll across to apply effects to your video. Choose from one of the many effects in the effect gallery, created both by Instagram and creators all over the world.
- Touch Up: Use this feature to smoothen out any skin blemishes etc.
- Colour Filter: Select a filter to be added to your video.
- Timer: Set the timer to record any of your clips hands-free. Once you press record, you’ll see a 3-2-1 countdown, before recording begins for the amount of time you selected.
Step 3. To record the Reel, hold down the record button or upload a video from your camera roll. (Users can start & stop recording multiple times during videos by pressing and holding the record button)
Step 4. Now that you’ve recorded or uploaded your video, you can choose to trim, edit or delete any individual clips.
Step 5. Choose to make some final edits with the draw, text or sticker tools.
Step 6. Edit the cover photo with a video thumbnail or add use a photo from your camera roll and use hashtags!
Step 7. Final step! Now you can share your Reel to your Stories, Feed and the Reels tab on your profile!
Over to you!
That’s it - you now know how to create Reels on Instagram!
It doesn’t have to be difficult, you can make it as fancy or simple as you want. If you are in need of some inspiration, checking out what other users or businesses have created may help you to come up with some cool ideas yourself, or you can jump on any of the trending challenges.
We’re excited to see how Instagram Reels is going to develop over the coming months, and how it could change the way businesses interact and engage with their audience! We’ll definitely stay tuned for future updates